Electric kettles are very useful for tea or coffee lovers who need instant tea or coffee during their work, after every couple of hours. It’s handy and suitable for boiling water, both for tea or coffee, other beverages and for cooking purpose.
It boils water over and over again so usually theirs a limestone build up or salt deposits left in an electric kettle, which results in a kettle furring or scaling.
This might affects the performance of your electric kettle by slowing down its heat, as well as gives you flakes of deposits present in the kettle whenever you use it in water, so easier, effective and correct ways to clean your electric kettle are as follows:
1. Cleaning an electric kettle by using vinegar solution:
- Mix water and vinegar with 1:1 ratio as vinegar is helpful in descaling or removing deposits from hard water, and fill the mixture in an electric kettle to ½ or ¾ of the kettle.
- Then boil the mixture in the kettle, if the scaling inside your electric kettle is in really bad condition then add more vinegar in the solution and bring it to boil.
- As the vinegar solution comes to boil in the electric kettle, unplug your kettle and let the kettle soak the mixture and remain in the kettle for 20 to 30 minutes and then pour the solution out.
- Then scrub your kettle from inside with the use of a non-metallic sponge or soft cloth. Make sure that you won’t scrub the heating element of the kettle that is at the bottom of an electric kettle.
- Then rinse your kettle with ample of water or boil water again and again in it and dumping it, to remove the smell of vinegar and finally wipe the electric kettle from inside and let it dry.
2. Cleaning an electric kettle by using other methods instead of vinegar (lemon solution or baking soda solution):
Cleaning through lemon solution:
- If your electric kettle manufacturer states not to use vinegar for cleaning your kettle then you can also use a lemon solution to clean your kettle.
- Make a lemon and water solution by squeezing lemon juice in the water and also slicing your lemon and add in your solution.
- Fill your electric kettle with this solution of lemon water and slices of lemons in it.
- Then bring the solution to boil and let it remain in the kettle to soak the mixture for about an hour.
- Then dump the mixture and rinse your kettle.
- You can also use lime instead of lemons to clean your electric kettle.
Cleaning through baking soda solution:
- Another way to clean your electric kettle effectively is to clean it with baking soda solution.
- For making baking soda solution you need water and baking soda. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda in water.
- Pour this mixture in your electric kettle and boil it.
- Let the solution remain in the electric kettle for around 20 to 30 minutes depends on the condition of your kettle.
- After soaking, then dump out the mixture and scrub it with a soft cloth or a sponge from inside if deposits are still left and then rinse your kettle with cold water.
- This must removes the scaling inside your kettle.
3. Cleaning of electric kettle by using a commercial kettle cleaning product:
- If you desire to use a commercial kettle cleaner available in the market, other than home remedies, you either find it easily online or at the local store or supermarkets nearby.
- You just have to follow the directions stated in the pack of the product. Dilute your cleaning product completely in water with the ratio given in its instructions.
- Boil the mixture in the electric kettle.
- Leave your mixture in the kettle for half an hour to soak in the kettle and to remove deposits inside.
- Then dump the solution and rinse your electric kettle with cold water and also boil the water once to remove the cleaning product smell fully from your electric kettle. And let it dry.
- You should also clean the outside body of an electric kettle with a damp cloth at least weekly.